What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, June 13, 2010

DNF

What should have been a no-brainer-piece-of-cake-faster-finish-than-last-year race ended in a big, fat DNF (Did. Not. Finish.)  Actually, worse.  On the results website, I am not even listed as starting.  I guess the glass half-full way of looking at it means *clean slate.*  The glass half-empy view would be that the 19 miles that I DID suffer through were run in vain as my existence was wiped out from today's running roster.  Regardless of how much is in my glass though, I definitely need to top it off!

At 7am and 8,500 feet above sea level, pouring rain in 38 degree weather doesn't feel all that bad.  At 10am, it feels like *death* and that is exactly what I felt like when I made my choice.  I agonized over that decision for a good 2 miles.  Do I go on?  Do I quit? I have never been in this situation before.  ever.  The cold wasn't so bad but the moisture was.  I was soaked to the bone.  My hands were numb and unbeknowst to me, my lips were blue.  When I stopped at the aid station at mile 19, an uncontrollable shivering began and my body began to ache.  I am pretty sure these are early warning signs of hypothermia.  At 5' 8 1/2" and only 125lbs this season, the weather conditions were absolutely the bain. of. my. existence!   Seriously, I couldn't have been more UNlucky. To continue running would have been extremely detrimental to my health.  The rain continued well after I got home and it was then that I knew I had made the right decision.  Despite my legs and feet feeling incredible.  Despite the fact that I was running 25 seconds per mile faster than last year.  Despite the knowledge that if I had continued on at that pace, I would have placed 5th or 6th female OVERALL.  But...I know I can run a marathon with my eyes closed and this is about something greater.  Something bigger.  And something much more exciting...Ironman Florida.  So, today my definition of DNF changed forever.  It means ~ Did. Not. Fail. as I kept my eye on the prize...140.6 miles in November.

6:30am ~ Estes Park

1 comment:

Christi said...

You made the right decision!