What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Mt Evans Ride, 56 miles round trip

Epic day. Big, BIG ride. Shortly after 7:30am, 7 of us rode our way out from Idaho Springs with hopes of reaching the top of the highest paved road in North America. From 7, went 5, and then…there were 2…at Summit Lake (elevation 12,830’), despite talks of 50mph wind gusts up ahead, Mike and I agreed, let’s get to the TOP (elevation 14,130’)… Despite the breathing issues of late, I had no issues at all (much to my surprise!) nearing 14,000 feet above sea level. Funny how that happens. My legs felt incredible as I spun my way to the top of Mt. Evans. I started passing cyclists as my legs churned and the excitement welled up within me. And yes, I even shed some tears over this accomplishment… For years, I have dreamed about riding my bike on this road. It had become a line item on my “bucket list” and now it can be crossed off. There were a couple of riders that came up to me at the top and complimented me on my climbing skills. I was even called a “badass” and I tell you what, that’s exactly what I feel like right now! Descending was fun too…oh the speed!  and it is so beautiful up there... breath-taking...

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congratulations. That is such a big accomplishment...more than a line item! I'm glad your breathing issues have improved. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you. Enjoy the Peak...you will do so well.