What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Serious saddle time.

Waking up at 5am on a Saturday is not my idea of fun (well, secretly it kind of is) but  when it’s dark and cold, it really stinks.  But that’s what you get for signing up to do an Ironman in Florida.  I was meeting up with some ladies at Boulder rez at 7am and when I checked the temperature in my car at 6:30am, it was 47 degrees.  Shit.  This is going to be chilly.  However, upon arriving to the rez and the sun making it’s way to the sky, it warmed up to a balmy 52.  I layered up and headed out for the first of many fast miles with these riders from the Title Nine Cycling team.  They ride hard and they ride fast.  And I worked like hell for 80 miles to keep up with them.  We averaged 18.5 mph on a fairly flat (for Colorado) course and some serious winds.  Holy shit.  I could have cried.  That is fast for me at that distance. 

After dropping them off, I made my way out for my final 32 miles, hoping like hell that I could maintain an average speed like that on my own.  I worked hard where I needed to, coasted when I could and managed to keep my wattage at 122.  What does that mean?  Shoooot, I have no idea but it’s the same power I want to average for IMFL.  Why?   Because I finished 112 miles in 5:56:00.  I couldn’t believe my eyes.  Sub 6 hours for an Iron-distance training ride at 5,300 feet?  WHOAH.  I immediately emailed my husband and my Coach a picture of my odometer as proof.  My goal for the bike at Ironman has now officially changed.  I am so psyched and proud of all of my hard work.  It’s SO nice to see progress after 4 years of cycling.  I am no longer a 16mph rider.  wootwoot!!!!!!!!  This was a big week of riding for me too, logging 208 miles.  Sweet!

1 comment:

Christi said...

You are a speedy! I hope that I can get to those speeds myself!