What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cancer fucking sucks.

We all know someone who has been affected by cancer.  The statistics seem to grow increasingly out of control with those who get it.  What the fuck science.  You can create a baby from a test tube, you can clone an animal, you can even send a bazillion tons of steel to the moon...but you can't find a cure for cancer? 

My family has been turned upside down and thrown for a loop...I found out today that a very beloved (and young) member of my family, has ovarian cancer.  I lost my Grandmother and Aunt to ovarian cancer. I  am so paranoid that I too may get it.  How can I not be?  I have an amazing Uncle who is a Prostate Cancer Survivor, I lost an Uncle to Brain Cancer.  My mother-in-law is a Breast Cancer Survivor, whose mother and niece also had breast cancer. We have even more extended relatives who have had breast cancer, some won the battle, some lost.  BUT.  they were all older than me.  Until now.  I had always thought, well, it only happens to "older" people because that is all I had ever known. 

I have mixed feelings right now. I  am so PISSED OFF.  I am angry. I am sad. I am hopeful.  I love this person so  much and I hope she can feel the love that I know so many have for her.  Please pray for her.  She will be at the City of Hope on December 29th to discuss diagnosis, prognosis and treatment.  This Christmas is more important to her than any other.  The family doesn't want presents this year.  We want a miracle.  For her. For her husband.  For her amazing daughter.  Please God, answer our prayers.  Just this once.  Please.


5 comments:

Jen said...

Many prayers for your family member! You are in mine, too!

Christi said...

Cancer absolutely sucks! My mother died from lung cancer inat the age of 43.

I am sending prayers to all your family members!

Heidi Austin said...

I think there is a higher power out there... Screw science- sending good vibes and hugs ur way girly-

Melissa said...

Oh sh*t! I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt's diagnosis. My friend was dx with ovarian cancer in her mid-20s and got through it with support from her family, medicine, and prayers...and so will your Aunt. I'm so sorry your family is faced with this challenge. Man....thank goodness it's almost a new year, new beginnings...

I have your aunt and your family in my prayers.

Kevin @ Half TRI-ing said...

I know how you feel. I have been struggling with a friend who is going through cancer. Keep your head up and be strong for them.

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com