What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, December 20, 2010

How is it that I am SO busy?

I have no idea how, but I seem to be so much busier NOW than when I was training for Ironman.  Geez.  I thought I was supposed to have 'more' time, not less, for life. But regardless, what is happening all around me IS my life and I just try to take it one day at a time.  I think I waited a whole 3 days after Florida to begin working out again.  It's insane how fast my recovery time now is.  I ran 13 miles the Saturday following IMFL.  I felt great.  A tiny bit sore but didn't really lose my speed.  I love how I am getting to *that* point physically.  It's amazing. 

Work has kept me busy with year-end financial wrap ups.  I still try to maintain a 6 day a week training program (for my sanity and Mike's) by running 3 x's, swimming and biking 2x's.I keep saying I want to throw yoga into the mix but I just haven't made the commitment yet.  Just like anything else, starting the habit is the hardest part. I know how sore I will be and I am not ready for that.  What can I say, I'm a p**sy.  Yes folks, I would rather workout for 7 hours than go to a 1 hour yoga class. Sad.

We traveled to San Diego and Port St Lucie (FL) the first two weekends in December and that was a blast!  Mike's work Christmas Party and then the Freisem Family Festive blowout.  We vowed for detox upon return of both trips.  Dirty Martinis are the devil's poison.  I love the olives though! 

Mike's clavicle surgery recovery is impressive.  He has been cleared to run and bike, which he has been doing a lot of these past few weeks.  The simple fact that he can actually run is a blessing in itself.  We have enjoyed a few training runs together and it was magnificent...it felt like the good ol' days.  He is going to make his post surgery debut at the pool on Thursday and you can bet your ass there will be some serious celebrating going on.  I am so excited for him!!

I have been training for about a month?! or so for the Disney marathon, which is in a few weeks.  My entire family is flying out (or already living there) to Orlando that weekend for the Jensen Family Christmas, my Godchild's blessing (the recovering Catholic's version of a baptism), the Disney Half-Marathon (Mike) and the Marathon (Me.) My awesome brother-in-law, Nate, is also running the marathon.  Actually, he's the reason I am running it.  He asked me to and I think that's pretty cool. He ran it quite a few years ago with Mike and blew out his hamstring at mile 14 and had to walk quite a bit of the last 12 miles. He has approached this training so differently and I have a pretty good feeling he's going to beat Jared the Subway guy's time from the NYC marathon by at least an hour!!  (That's Nate's goal - hilarious)

 It's hard to believe Christmas is this weekend.  I have been the chicken without a head for the past week trying to finish all my shopping. Each year, I vow to start earlier, and each year I start later.  Oh well.

As far as 2011 goes, it's all kind of up in the air.  I have 3 marathons planned by April and then...???  Mike and I are hoping to start a family and whether we adopt or have a child of our own, we know that loving a baby comes from the heart and not from the belly, so whatever is meant to be will be the best for us. We're just so excited (and scared shitless) at the thought of becoming parents!!  God help our unborn child.  

As this year rapidly comes to a close, I know that I have been blessed with a wonderful husband, 2 adorable furry four legged kids, an amazing family, cherished friends and many incredible accomplishments.  I know that 2011 will be even more fulfilling!!  

     


1 comment:

Christi said...

Wow, you have been a busy beaver!

I am so glad to hear that Mike is doing better and that the training is coming along!

I wish you and your family a blessed Holiday season! And I know you will make a great mother! Good luck with the coming year!