What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

21 mile run.

I did get my swim in yesterday.  It felt wonderful, such a sense of accomplishment.  Afterwards, I had a beautiful and snowy 6 mile run with my dear friend Amy.  Afterwards, we grabbed lunch and caught up some more.  Then I was fortunate to spend more time with her and her family until it was time to head home, eat dinner and enjoy some quiet time with Mike and the girls.

We were hit with a huge snow storm and very low temps today.  I didn't get out for my run until 11am.  And in all honestly, I was dreading it.  I thought about heading to the gym and toughing it out on the treadmill.  All 21 miles.  but that sounded so unappealing.  I just wanted to look mother nature in the eye and tough it out.  I though about only running 12 miles and I realized that I needed more.  I wanted to prove to myself that I am tough.  and that I could do this. 

It was insane.  It was freezing.  It was icy.  The snow was thick and deep.  It was so windy. I opted for east/west patterns of running since the wind was coming straight from the north and it just ripped through my bones, leaving me chilled.  I wasted time by running back and forth on certain roads.  Mile after mile.  and in a record slow time of 3:39, I was triumphant.  21 miles logged.  What a sense of accomplishment.  I even went so far as to strap some grocery bags over my socks to stay dry.  Nothing like running it retro style.  Now it's time to warm up.  and let some pride fill my heart.  2 weeks until the Austin Marathon...
Kickin' it old school.  grocery bags.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Great job! You are one brave woman to be out in that bitter cold!