What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The cat is out of the bag...

The cat is out!

As desperately as I tried to keep my big summer race a secret until a little closer to the date, alas, I couldn't keep  my big mouth shut.  It's too exciting not to share.  Plus how could I possibly hide 120 mile bike rides and 4500 meter swims?  The 26.2 mile run part, however, would be a piece of cake!  

Let's rewind a bit though so you can understand why this is such a big deal.  In November, I went off of birth control with the intent of getting pregnant.  Now, after 20 years of being on said birth control, well,...let's just say it's going to take my 38 year old body a little bit longer to adjust and normalize so-to-speak.  Back in 2004, when Mike and I first tried, I didn't give my body any time after going off the pill and had 2 miscarriages back to back.  I am not going to make that same mistake again.  I am giving myself 6 months of wiggle room and then we can begin trying.  That puts us into June.  and in my mind.  Um. Well, what's another month?  After some pretty serious discussions with Mike and my Coach, and myself, I decided that I could take on another 140.6 mile challenge.  More importantly that I wanted to. However, training would be different.  It wouldn't consume every minute of every day for 26-32 weeks.  With my base, my Coach and I determined that 10 weeks would be plenty of time for me to prepare for the big day.  #5.  Yup. Another "Ironman."  What can I say?  I am addicted to the distance.  

As you can imagine, such a late decision would mean no WTC races for me this year.  (WTC = the IRONMAN brand.) and what with happened to Mike last year, having to drop out of two of their IM's after surgeries and them not giving him back his money, I thought...SCREW YOU WTC!  I don't need your races this year.  The thought of not having to drop $650 on another race was also comforting.  

My qualifications for this race? I wanted a small race.  I wanted a beautiful venue.  I wanted to experience 140.6 miles of grit, soul searching and little crowd support...I need to see how tough I am.  I found it.  The perfect race.  The perfect date.  The perfect venue. Vineman. The oldest iron distance event in the United States.  700 triathletes.  206 women singed up to date.  Sonoma County's wine country.  Are you kidding me?  I get to tour Northern California's wine country?!?! On my bike? SOLD!  I'm in!  Sign me up!  and for a whopping $350.  I am officially registered.  Race date is July 30th.  Training begins May 22nd...while we're in Texas for Mike's Ironman.  What a great way to kick it off!!!



4 comments:

Christi said...

That is awesome! I wish you the best of luck during your training!

KK said...

Sounds like you are right on track to a happy future-congrats!

Vineman does sound like a kick ass venue.

Eager to see you and catch up soon. :)

tri like mary said...

I just stumbled on your blog from 5-4-3-2-1 and love it. I'm training for my first HIM this year and am looking forward to following your training for Vineman.

Also, love your dogs! I have a Shepherd named Lola and know the love a dog mom has for her babies. I wish Luna a very speedy recovery!

Yoga Teacher Training said...

What a challenge! What you have been through and training for is something that very few people can do. Glad you found the 'perfect race'!