What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

800s at the track.

After last night's dull and low intensity 60 minute ride on the trainer, I was ready to work really hard tonight.  I have had a rough 2 days at work and more importantly, a bad stomach-ache today. I almost bagged tonight's 6 mile run.  However, I know from past experience that when you least want to work out, you will undoubtedly have the best workout.  Tonight was no exception!  

The track is about 1.75 miles from my house so I warmed up slowly, leaving at 6pm.  I love early evening workouts.  The weather was ideal - mid 50s.  The sun was in its final stages before setting and there was a light wind.  I was pretty psyched.  I debated back and forth between 400s and 800s.  Since my default is always the 1/4 mile repeat, I stepped outside that comfort zone and opted for the 1/2 mile instead.  I have never done this on a track, only on the treadmill - which is so controlled, so I had no idea what I could actually do on my own.

I thought I could start out at a moderate pace and bump it from there.  I was running on a perceived effort and felt that my pace for the first lap was an 8:00 minute mile.  I looked down at my watch, 7:20.  Holy f**k.  This workout is going to H.U.R.T.  First 800 - 3:45.  Ok, I can do this.  

and I did, and I did, and I did. I got faster with each 800.  My lungs were burning.  My heart was screaming. My breathing was loud and labored.  But my legs felt great.  I had to talk myself through each effort.  Keep calm. Relax. How bad do you want this?  You can do anything for a half-mile. You will run your goal at Boston. 

This season, I feel like I am having an out of body experience.  I look in the mirror and see the same person.  I see my race results and I know I'm not.  If I can pick any one word that embodies me this season, it's FOCUS.  I am focused.  4 years ago, I ran Boston in 3:50:12.  If I can follow my race plan, I should have a new Boston PR.  BUT I will have to focus, for 26.2miles, on my favorite course in the country. 

My times for each 800
3:45
3:38
3:31
3:26
3:24

I opted for 400s for my last 1/2 mile... I wanted to die.
1/4 mile ~ 1:41
1/4 mile ~ 1:37

My only goal tonight was to get faster with each effort.  and I did. I just think, Holy shit, will I be able to do at sea level?

2 comments:

Christi said...

Great track workout! You are going to kill Boston!

KK said...

Yay for fast track intervals! That is such a rewarding feeeling. I am so excited for your upcoming Boston experience. Wish I could go and cheer you on!