What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Boston, baby. Boston.

Well, it's here. The moment I have been waiting for. for 50 weeks.  My time to shine.  My Olympics.  My Tour de France.  My Ironman World Championship.  My Super Bowl.  My World Series.  I worked so hard to get to this weekend.  I busted my ass.  Waking up at 4am to run before work, in the dark of night, in the cold of winter.  Grueling track workouts.  Running when I didn't want to.  Running through painful glute issues.  Foot numbness. Massages that hurt.  Passing up several nights out with friends.  Pasta every Friday night.  Telling my poor husband, "I'm too tired" when in fact, I really was.  For not returning emails in a timely fashion.  For being late just about every day for work because I was exhausted.  For letting dust bunnies mate uncontrollably under my furniture.  For clean but wrinkled laundry.  For oversalting every meal.  Never sleeping in.  Buying everything on the internet because I had no time to shop.  4 inch roots.  Thousands of split ends.  Badly cut bangs.  Getting to the salon was impossible.  Never getting a manicure when my hands desperately needed some TLC.  and my feet? Oh forget about it.  My neighbors only seeing me in my running clothes.  My husband only seeing me in my pj's.  My dogs only seeing me sleeping.  And all that sacrifice...you ask, was it worth it? Yes, oh hell yes.  It has been so worth it.  I am running the Boston Marathon. Me! I am running my 50th marathon.  Yes, YES it has ALL been worth it.  Every second of it. So many might not understand it. I get that.  But when I get to that start line, at 10:20am on Monday...and the tears are streaming down my face, and the chills are dancing down my spine, and the pride is bursting through my heart, and my cheeks ache from smiling, I will remember all of those sacrifices, all that hard work, all the support... and soak it up.  I will live in that moment. I  wish I could describe to you the feelings that I have from the first step to the last, and all the thousands in between.  But I can't.  It's indescribable.  It's a feeling like no other.  Ironman doesn't even compare.  The day I ran my first marathon, I was reborn.  I became who I am today.  I am humbled by the marathon.  I respect the distance.  and for just a few hours, it gives me something that nothing else can.  Confidence.  there is a peace in my heart, a silence in my mind and an unconditional love for myself...No self-criticism. No self-doubt. No self-loathing.  I love the marathon.  and I love running it in Boston.  

7 comments:

Paul said...

Well said Kristina, Congratulations.

I'M Tri-ing said...

Congrats! You'll do great.

Christi said...

That was an excellent post! I am so happy for you and the experience that you are about to embark on. I will be smiling all day Monday during race time. Not just for you but for all the people who have fulfilled their dreams!

Heather said...

Those were truly inspiring words! Congratulations on getting so far, Boston should be glad to have you.

Keri said...

Great post Kristina! I am so proud of you! Now, go and kick some Boston ass! Yay for #50!!!!

RunnerChick said...

Thank you for putting into words my very own thoughts. I know how hard you worked to get there. You so deserved every second of glory in Boston! Congratulations! I hope to make it back one day. XO

Yoga Teacher Training said...

Yes, it is indeed worth it. There are days like what you had mention that we are so caught up in achieving our goal, we hardly have time to take care of ourselves, as you had mentioned in one example of doing your nails. This is such a refreshingly honest and unpretentious article. More power to you!