What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, September 2, 2011

These boots were made for walkin'

My surgeon said that I could walk, starting the day after surgery. What? That's it?  That's all I could do for exercise?  I asked how far - she said, start with an hour.  and so I did.  

By definition, walk means:

 obsolete : roamwanderb of a spirit : to move about in visible form : appearc of a ship : to make headway
2
a : to move along on foot : advance by stepsb : to come or go easily or readilyc : to go on foot for exercise or pleasured : to go at a walk
3
a : to pursue a course of action or way of life : conduct oneself : behave <walk warily>b : to be or act in association : continue in union walk together side by side … in peace — Sir Winston Churchill>
For me - walking meant to pursue a way of life.  I did a lot of thinking on those walks.  I started off with a 3 mile walk, the day after surgery.  and from there, it blossomed.  I would get up at 5am, throw on my iPod and running shoes - no longer used for running - and would walk.  and walk.  and walk.  Mostly on the trails behind my house.  I brought my camera and started taking pictures.  Figuratively, I would "stop and smell the roses" ... I was able to notice things that I never saw when I would run.  I was having fun again. A kind of fun that was real, not just me saying it was fun. I would think to myself, this is what a normal life is like?  Wow. Love. What have I been missing out on?  However, I really wasn't missing out anything when I was immersed in Ironman training - I was simply going through the process of growth... that part of my life was a stepping stone to get to where I am now.  I have found happiness and peace with waking up every day and just .... walking.  and just 23 days after surgery, I have managed to walk 157 miles.

Here are some of the things I would see on my walks that I never really saw before...   






















2 comments:

Meaghan said...

I just came across your blog, and I love love LOVE this post. What great pictures! Isn't it crazy how we can turn something like (GASP!) walking into something pretty awesome?

KK said...

I love walking too! It's so nice to be able to stop and smell the roses. I also love being able to fully engage in podcasts while walking. It's a whole nw lease on life. Of course, there's nothing more cathartic than a good run, too. Both have their merits.

Great job on your post surgery recovery!