What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, November 6, 2011

On the mend.

Intense physical therapy coupled with ultrasound has begun to sloooowly heal my hamstring/glute issue.  I have a long way to go before I am running an 8:42 marathon pace...but for now, I will take a 10+ minute mile for longer than 3 miles.  I am back to running 2 days a week with a mid-week 6 or 7 miler, and a longer one on the weekend. I think weight lifting is helping too as I focus on my quads, hamstrings and glutes.  I feel it will make a huge difference in the upcoming weeks as emerge back into running.

What a nostalgic weekend for me. Yesterday, was Ironman Florida.  Hard to believe I did it 1 year ago.  It really made me miss the training and excitement that surrounds 140.6 miles of triathlon hell.  Today was the New York City marathon, which I ran back in 2006.  It was one of my favorite races of all time - I have probably said this before but it is on my top 5 list.  I have already signed up for my next marathon in May 2012, unless something pops up sooner and I want to race an iron-distance triathlon that is actually making its way to Colorado - in Ft Collins actually, on July 29th.  I better start saving my money for extra groceries (specifically Cascadian Farm's Dark Chocolate Almond Granola.)

So, with all that being said, I started out around 11:30am with the intention of running 10 miles. It was in the mid-40s and sunny.  Perfect if you ask me. I was feeling pretty inspired and hopeful that I could actually run all 10 of those miles and not have to walk. at. all. Half-way through the run, I upped the goal to 12.  When I hit mile 8 I said to myself, "Girlfriend, you're running a half-marathon today."  and so 13.1 miles later, at a whopping fast pace of 10:14s, I finished smiling and feeling G.O.O.D.  I was back in my happy place.  I haven't been there for a long time.  I love how it feels and I intend to stay here for awhile.  

3 comments:

Christi said...

I am so happy for you! I will continue to send you healing vibes but I believe you won't be needing them much longer!

Meaghan said...

Sending you lots of speedy healing vibes!!!

TarynMurtagh said...

Right on, lady. So glad to read such. I too am pulling myself out of the injury / lame 'tude hole. Totally sucks, but chipping away at it is all one can do. And wine. And chocolate. And sweet potato fries.