What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, September 29, 2012

A day in the life of an *unemployed* triathlete...

Upon waking up, my immediate thought is always...what day is it?  And to figure this out, I have to think about what I might have done or possibly watched on tv the night before. For example the other day went like this... Oh right, it's Friday because last night was the season premier of Grey's Anatomy.  Except that I didn't know yesterday was Thursday and so I forgot to DVR Grey's. grr. I realized it after the fact, when I was at dinner, and saw a commercial for it during Thursday night football, which I didn't know even existed.  Shoot!

For those of you that don't know, I am currently unemployed.  By choice.  I made this critical and life-changing decision during the run at Ironman Louisville.  I was out there, suffering, along with 3,000+ people due to difficult weather conditions.  but I wasn't actually suffering.  I was having the BEST time of my life. For a little while I forgot about how crappy my job was.  How crappy the people I worked with had treated me for months.  Micro-managing me and not letting go of the fact that 8 months prior I went through the shittiest time of my life...but that time of my life was very prominently past me when it was announced in August that I was ranked number 22 out of 6,000+ assistants in the country. but that didn't matter. They just wouldn't let my past stay there. Whatever.  jerks.  So after careful consideration during what was my worst Ironman marathon finish time ever, along with my worst MARATHON finish time ever (out of 57 marathons at that time) ... I decided the pain and suffering of my race day was well worth it, and that my job was not.  After going to work every day, completely lifeless, heartless and souless, day after day for 12 years, I had ENOUGH.  Discussed this very important realization with my entire family, and with their (100%) support, I walked into work when I got back and told them I didn't want to waste their time anymore... and that enough was enough. Since they didn't want my [ridiculously amazing] skill set, I no longer wanted to bustmy ass for them... and so I was out of there.  After being asked to pack up my stuff and be out of there by 2pm, I gladly walked out with the greatest satisfaction *ever* and was finally able to "stick it to the man." I had dreamed about that moment for so long ... and so 32 days later, here I am.  not knowing what day it is.  not worrying about applying for a job yet. and happier than I have ever been in entire life.  

I wake up. I waste my early morning (as I still set my alarm for 6am daily) catching up on emails, walking my dogs, texting my employed friends (annoying the crap out of them) asking when they want to get together next,, talking to my little sister on the phone, searching for jobs (oh, not really) and planning my next vacation.  At some point late morning, I go to the gym and get on the stairmaster for 30 minutes, because let's face it, this single girl wants to rock out her butt in jeans.  After that, I hit the weight room for about an hour.  I go home, eat.  Tidy up the house.  Text more friends (severely annoyed at this point) to see how their career-filled day is.  Take care of any errands that didn't get addressed earlier in the day and then head out for a triathlete-related activity.  Adding another 1-3 hours of training time.  I am feeling pretty dang fit right now.  After that, I down a protein shake.  Text my (pissed off at this point) overly-exhausted working friends and then think about what's on tap for my evening.  Dinner with (now on the fence of my friendship) friends?  Chill out to some mindless tv?  Blog?  Read?  Go for another walk with the dogs?  Call my little sister again? - so much more nothingness to talk about (she stays home too with the girls)... Tell the universe I just want one cute boy to ask me out so I can go on a date in earlier referred to jeans and show off my well-worked out booty? (ok, maybe the universe actually listened and I may or may not have already been taken out by one VERY cute boy!) Paint my nails one of 27 different colors?  Go to bed early?  My options are endless.  

And so here I am.  I think it's Saturday.  How can I be sure?  I can text my friends and ask them how their work day is going and they can quickly respond - "DER. It's Saturday."  Awesome.  Not that it matters to me anyways because for now, every day is Saturday.  and with a big smile on my face, I get to decide my fate for that day, again...and revel in the fact that I am (temporarily) not governed by a world that works to live or lives to work...because right now, I LIVE to live... 

4 comments:

Christi said...

I remember those days but I should have enjoyed them more!

Pam said...

Go girl!!! I love that you are enjoying this time so much. I think good things are in your future. Not to sound like a magic eight ball, I just do... Reminds me of when I moved to Boulder with nothing but my car packed full of stuff, got here, found myself jobless within a matter of days, biked a lot, explored, then found my dream job (or so I thought) and my husband (who is still as good as when we met, maybe better!).

What, my name--Oh, ok--ok--Tom H said...

Note to self: This Kristina is a good writer

Marc Nelson said...

I had been unemployed for three months after quitting my job. I used to spend more time reading books and visiting the gym. I miss those days too.

horny goat weed