What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, June 15, 2013

home stretch

8 days. 8 DAYS!  I have waited for this moment for over a year, as I started thinking about it in May 2012. That's when I decided I wanted to race in Coeur d'Alene, having to wait until the end of June to register.  and now it's almost here.  I only have to wait 8 more days!!!  I fly out Thursday, so technically the madness and excitement begins in 5 days... I am meeting up with my best friend, which is going to make next weekend all the sweeter and that much more special.  

CdA is a gorgeous place and it's where I spectated my first Ironman back in 2008...I was scared shitless as I saw all those athletes exit the beach and topple onto one another into the icy cold waters of Lake Coeur d'Alene and at that moment, I thought to myself. NO. FUCKING. WAY.  I will never race this course.  That water is way too cold.  and here I am.  5 years later.  still skinny.  still freezing cold when it's in the 60s outside.  still not a fan of the wetsuit.  but no longer afraid.  not even close... I am embracing this race with an attitude very different than any other IM I've done, because I truly believe it will be my biggest physical challenge ever... I'm guessing with the cooler, rainy forecast headed CdA's way this week, the water will be hovering around 60 degrees.  There's a pretty good chance I may suffer from some hypothermia (I have raynaud's disease/very poor circulation) but I am prepared for it mentally and physically and will dig as deep as I can to power through it.  I will not give up. and will fight with everything I have to finish those 2.4 miles, unassisted, and get my ass into T1. on. my. own.  My hands will be purple, my lips may be blue, and I may not be able to feel my feet. and the only way that I will be pulled from that course is if I am incoherent or dead.  I am stubborn.  I am strong.  and I am a Jensen.   

So.  It's now 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon and I am not on my bike...this feels SO weird...NOT a fan of taper!  So what am I doing?  Watching video after video of IM swim starts... and finishes... and inspirational triathlete stories... smiling... cheering... bawling my eyes out... getting my mental game ready for next weekend because this, as far as I'm concerned, is key to having an amazing race...I could care less about my HR or wattage, my splits or RPMs ... it's all about making it to that last mile with the biggest shit-eatin' grin on my face... 8 days.  home stretch...



No comments: