What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, March 7, 2014

Don't quit your day dream.

For as long as I can remember, I have always been a *nerdy* little bookworm, enjoying my ability to get lost in a writer's alternative universe. There was a point in time that I was devouring a book a week, sometimes two, as I just couldn't get enough.  At times, I craved the escape from the chaos of my world, especially when life felt beyond bearable. Gifted with the ability to dream in high def and abundant color, it made reading effortless as I was able to form vivid depictions of the characters and their lives, often times beyond what the writer was wanting or willing to share with the reader.  Even now, I find myself relating to the character's emotions, most often feeling their pain and absorbing their immense joy, as if it were my own. It was only natural that at some point, I would want to jump (eyes closed, head first of course!) into the realm of writing for my own pleasure.  I would daydream about finding a way to translate my billowing thoughts into words, in that same high def and abundant color,  that would put the reader at ease and eager to travel with me on my "adventures."
 
When I began blogging in 2008, it began as a diary of my journey towards Ironman in the physical sense.  I shared my trials and tribulations of training and gradually began to incorporate my feelings and emotions associated with the ever increasing volume of swimming, biking and running.  At some point in 2011, Ditch the Tiara evolved as I developed an immense desire to share my successes and struggles in my personal life, and less of my triathlon life.  I felt established as an "Ironman" but was on rocky ground with who I was becoming and the loss of identity I began to encounter. Somewhere along the way, the day dream resurrected itself.  I wanted to be a writer...a *real* writer...more than ever. I even began writing a book.  I have it tucked away and maybe one day I'll explore it on a grander scale.  I have always found such deep satisfaction in blogging but recently the need for more appeared. And so on a whim, I contacted a former triathlon teammate who just happens to be the Partner and Editor of one of the most popular triathlon websites in the world (OK, maybe the US... alright, alright Colorado...for now!)  I told Dana that I was thinking about writing something different and wondered if she'd be interested in seeing it.  Before I knew it, we were talking about my own column and I am so proud and humbled to announce the birth of mywriting career.  My *real* writing career.

I invite you to visit 303triathlon and discover all things wonderful about triathlon and the 303's love and passion for this amazing sport.  I'd like to introduce you to my alter ego, the The Iron Tiara.  I hope you enjoy reading her high def and abundantly colorful thoughts about all things triathlon (and beyond) as much as she loves writing about them.  If there is one thing that I have learned in life is that you should never quit your day dream, ever. 

No comments: