What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

time to climb.

30 days post Ironman and I am in the thick of it. Like all in. Full swing. Kickin' ass and takin' names. ok, not really.  Most days it's my ass that's getting kicked.  BUT still. To say that I am so ready for Ironman Boulder would be doing a disservice to how I really feel. I love, Love, LOVE racing for 140.6 miles, but by now I am fairly certain that I don't need to tell you that. Right? I don't compete in any other distances and so I start to get really antsy when my friends start talking about their upcoming sprints, olys and 70.3s, because they seem to be doing so many more races than I am. However, recovery is only a few days (if that) and the cost is next to nothing for the "short" stuff. I start to bleed cash during triathlon season.  If only I had planted that money tree in the spring. gah!

With that being said, my focus right now is on the bike. Running is coming along and I actually ran 16 miles last night, albeit crazy slow with some walking. I'll take it!  A large part of my glute pain these past few weeks was attributed to the saddle I was riding on. Thankully, after doing hours of research, (mmmm, ok not really...I may have pulled up one OR two saddle reviews on google at most) I bought a new one that seems to be doing all the right things. My ass now happily perches upon a Specialized Sitero. It's amazing how different riding is when you're actually comfortable E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E!
 
And my dedication to weekly intervals up Deer Creek Canyon has carried over since last season.  I've come to realize that on the day I'm doing them, I need to eat completely differently, and at very specific times. Learned that the HARD way. There is no worse feeling on the planet than that of wanting to throw up two minutes into the hardest 30 minutes of your entire week. UGH. Lunch is now plain jane and simple.  A sweet potato, an avocado heavily salted, maybe throw in a piece of fruit. Or white rice heavily salted with some simple veggies drizzled with olive oil.  And it's eaten about 90 minutes earlier than usual.  So far, so good.  I'll know more later if this really is a good combination, or just a fluke thing from last week, as I'm headed up to the hurt locker this afternoon. 


By busting my ass twice a week in that canyon, which includes 3,000+ feet of climbing in just 14 miles, my century ride times are getting faster, and staying consisent.  I've ridden 100 miles the past three weekends, all being on different courses that have increased in difficulty each week.  5:33:37, 5:33:18, 5:32:21 .... what?!  Since when did I become an 18mph cyclist for 100 miles? and consistently at that!  Um.  this year. and I am hoping to continue to see those kinds of numbers as IM Boulder quickly approaches.  By August 3rd, I will know that bike course inside and out as I ride a majority of it every weekend.  This weekend will be no different.  47 days and couting...

No comments: